ST. ANTHONY OF PADUA
CATHOLIC CHURCH IN ANGOLA
The Catholic people of St. Anthony's are called to be the embodiment - the "enfleshment" - of Christ's mystical body her in Steuben County. Since 1929, our parish boundaries have been contiguous with the county, and our heritage bound up with the region.
As Catholics in Northeastern Indiana began forming parishes in the late 19th century (Avilla 1853, Auburn 1872, Waterloo 1880 etc.), Steuben County remained the least Catholic county of Indiana. In the 1920s, Bishop Noll mandated St. Michael’s Parish in Waterloo – our mother parish – to start a mission in the “wild lake country around Angola”. Several priests from St. Michael’s – Fr. Charles Scholl, Fr. Otto Peters, Fr. Theodore Fetig – gathered the Catholics and celebrated Mass at irregular intervals at different places in town. The first Mass was celebrated in Angola High School in July of 1924. In 1926, Fr. Scholl bought a big, old house across from Tri-State College (where Masses were then being held) and converted it into a church that held 200 people. In 1929, we were declared a mission parish with the name St. Rita’s. Fr. Fetig even lived in Angola a few months.
St. Anthony of Padua Parish proclaims the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a Catholic spirit.
We are a people of diverse backgrounds united through the Eucharist and the teachings of the Catholic Church.
We accept our responsibility to respond to the call of the Gospel as committed disciples of Jesus Christ.
We dedicate ourselves to growing in faith and fellowship as we seek to do His will.
We respect and promote the dignity of all people, loving and caring for each other as Jesus has taught us.
Within our parish community and with the People of God, we desire to live the Good News in a joyful spirit of prayer, compassion, simplicity and hospitality.