Why Catholic is one of the offerings from Renew International for adult Catholic faith development. It is used throughout the diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend.
Like previous years, the program is built around small faith sharing communities. Our parish had twelve groups, and St. Paul's Chapel had one larger group. There are two groups meeting in Spanish, using the Arise program, (Levantete), also from Renew International. The faith sharing groups gathered in the mornings, or afternoons, or evenings; they met at parishioners' homes or in parish classrooms or in the daily Mass chapel or in the old church - wherever and whenever convenient to accomodate working parents, retired people, and many part-time residents (our beloved "snowbirds"!). Some groups were newly formed, some have been meeting as a group for five years now.
- There were St. Anthony's Angels, because as a group they coordinate the parish Angel Tree each year at Christmastime.
- Why Catholic? Why NOT? decided one group, and that became their name.
- The Faithful Spirits support and pray for each other during jooy and sadness.
- Jesus' 13 Rebels took their name because they see Jesus as a rebel.
- The Faithful Hearts enjoy a weekly social hour together and a prayer session as well as thier faith sharing sessions.
More than 150 parishioners continued their faith journey in this year's Why Catholic program.
One community met six weeks in a row in the fall and will meet six times in the spring. Another group is meeting just once a month pretty much all year. Each group chooses a schedule that works for them!
If you want to become part of next spring's Why Catholic program, you can always jump in! Contact Anne Furgeson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Ferguson is the parish coordinator of the Renew Inernational programs at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Angola, IN. She has partipated in Renew, Arise and Why Catholic.